Friday, May 22, 2009

What's in my DVD player?

On April 20, 2009 (the ten-year anniversary of the shootings at Columbine High School) I added Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine to my Netflix queue. It arrived in the mail, and now that all of my top shelf TV shows have season finale'd I will actually get around to watching it. (Side note: House had the best season finale ever. All of the others have faded from my memory already but I will always remember that image of Dr. House walking up the steps of the psychiatric hospital.) I love watching documentaries and Michael Moore's movies are one of the reasons why I got into watching them. He's especially good at combining toe-tapping music with horrifying footage to get his point across. As part of an anti-bullying initiative for the school district we're all going to read Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes this summer. Hope I don't go into school shooting overdrive ...

I just started The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory. Love the cover, but so far it's not as good as The Other Boleyn Girl. It doesn't have enough background information on Mary, Queen of Scots, the titular other queen (or is the other queen really Queen Elizabeth? I went through a similar mental debate whilst reading The Other Boleyn Girl. And now my New Year's Resolution to use the word "whilst" in a sentence can be scratched.) Anyway I spent the first 75 pages trying to figure out what was up and why Mary was in exile in the first place. And who the heck is Bothwell? A pox on historical fiction that provides insufficient background information!

No comments:

Post a Comment