Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What's on my bookshelf?

I'm happy to report that I recently finished my third-to-last course in my graduate program at West Chester University. I wrote my Capstone Research Project on the Printz Award for excellence in young adult literature. The project involved reading all the latest Printz award winners, surveying fifty high school sophomores about their reading habits, and creating some eye-popping graphs in Excel (I do enjoy the Insert Chart feature). I concluded that the key to getting teens to read award winners is endless promotion, especially because some of the books are so teen-unfriendly.

Anyway, now that I'm finished with assigned readings I can turn my attention to the teetering tower of books that have been gathering dust on my bookshelf. Okay, who am I kidding, the meticulously dusted and alphabetized row of books currently occupying "Amy's Top Shelf," the high-priority location on my bookshelf. Five books in the highest priority position are:
  • Apples and Oranges: My Brother and Me, Lost and Found by Marie Brenner
  • Triple Shot Bettys in Love by Jody Gehrman
  • The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory
  • American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
  • Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
I just finished Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library by Don Borchert. Hilarious book! And my book group is reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave. All this, and a new episode of Fringe ... time to break out the French Roast!

1 comment:

  1. As expected, your post is both educational and entertaining. I always enjoy the use of the word "feller"!

    ReplyDelete